Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Human Touch, 6-29-2010

Human beings could simply not exist without their sense of touch. From the moment of birth to the final moments before death, touch is a basic human need for which everyone hungers. It is a sense that shapes and moulds your personality and impacts on how you present yourself in the world. A variety of emotions and reactions are conveyed through physical touch, as varying as there are types of touch, from friendly handshakes, to an intimate embrace, to an aggressive punch. Based on the belief that energy flows between human beings, physical contact between people fulfils our fundamental desire to be connected to others.
http://psychfutures.ning.com/page/psychology-of-touch-1 

I have known this fact as truth ever since I saw the video's of the orphans of Russia crammed into too few cribs with too few nurses and attendants.  The affect on the psyche of those babies as they grew was troubling and invoked tears of sadness and sorrow.  That I could not reach through my television to comfort them was the least of my emotions at the time.  On a far more unconscious level, I think we all really know this from birth.  A brand new baby touches its mother during nursing and the babies vision at birth is the distance from the mother's face to the end of the breast!  Amazing.  As we grow, when we fall or get hurt, we turn to those we love for comfort.  As an adult living alone, I have had a lot of opportunity to consider this truth.   When I visit my grown kids who live on their own in another city, I get as many hugs as I can - storing them for my hug bank.   Thankfully, I have pets too, and they provide a lot of loving to me.  It is not the same though.  I know that I treasure my "alone time" deeply and actually, believe that I require it for my sanity.  Too much alone time though, can be detrimental.  This is how some people can really spiral into deep depression.  I have done that myself, in the past, and it really is no fun.  Thankfully, I had help in those days.  And theses days, I have coping skills that keep me on the saner side of quirky.  Once I get past this next big hurdle in my life ( my national exam ) - I Do hope that I will have at least two opportunities.  One of course is a job and preferably located back "home".  The second is that I find a man who also treasures his alone time, is kind, funny, intelligent and artsy, because I really love having lengthy discussions about "stuff" and I love going to artsy functions.  He does not need to have a PhD either - I personally believe that education is a wonderful tool for intelligence and this can be obtained either by a life very well lived and learned or a formal schooling.  I have met wonderful people who never finished schooling beyond secondary or some college.  And I have met some very boring albeit brilliant people.  What I really hope to find in this man is the touch of a lover.  That slow soft sensual touch that lingers.  The hugs that won't let go.  I crave that and cannot imagine living without for the next 50 years.  I believe he exists, the one meant for me to have in my life, sharing our later years together.  I hope we find each other soon.  That would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment